In reflection of last week's lesson, I didn't stress enough that in small groups you not only hold each other to a higher standard, but you also love and encourage one another. In fact everything we do, even when it's calling someone out or holding them to a higher standard, we do out of love for that person. We should never be "judging" someone as better or worse than ourselves. Concern should be expressed as caring loving concern not in a judgemental way with a "better-than-though" attitude. In Philippians 2:3-5 Paul says, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus." And what is Christ's attitude? Read Philippians 2: 6-8
In Ephesians 4, Paul talks specifics about how we should live as children of the Light. Ephesians 4: 25-32 are his instructions to the people of the church in Ephesus and still apply to how we should lead a Holy life especially the last verse..."forgiving each other just as in Christ god forgave you."
John Wesley gave the early Methodists 3 general rules as a guide for living a Holy life. These rules still apply today.
1. Do no harm.
2. Do good.
3. Attend to the ordinances of God.
Table Group assignment:
In small group each of you need to take a notecard on your table and number 1-3 down the notecard. Each number represents Wesley's general rules. I want you to write a statement of something that you are going to do this week to commit to following these 3 general rules. For example: #1 is: Do no harm so I might say that "this week I will not say unkind words about my co-workers." Under #2 I might say, "I will spend time with my elderly neighbor." And under #3 I might say, "I will pray before I go to work every morning." When you have completed all of your statements, I want you to share them with your group if you feel comfortable and I want you to ask your prayer partner from last week to hold you accountable to doing these things. Make sure you phone or text your accountability partner this week to see how they are doing with their commitments.
No comments:
Post a Comment